5-Week Online Class
June 25 - July 30
$260 if registered by 6/04/2018
$310 if registered after 6/04/2018
Your course registration includes a free 4-issue subscription to Creative Nonfiction or a free ebook; click here for more details.
Instructor: Marissa Landrigan
Most of the text we consume today comes to us through a screen, and since anyone with an internet connection can share their stories, digital technology has made storytelling more accessible and more global than ever before. Through digital storytelling, you can invite readers to interact and experiment with your stories, rearrange or find your own path through the fragments of an essay, even “play” your first-person experiences.
This beginner’s course is designed to help you discover ways to use digital communication technologies to enhance the inherent connective power of creative nonfiction—and will explore what changes and what stays the same, when you move stories from pure text to an interactive, multimedia environment, incorporating still images, sound, and/or video (and even video games).
Learn how to create digital narratives through a combination of reading, viewing, and playing. This course provides plenty of opportunity for hands-on practice capturing and editing your own image, audio, and video stories, and using digital communication technologies to enhance (rather than distract from) the inherent connective power of creative nonfiction.
How it works:
Each week provides:
- writing prompts and/or assignments
- discussions of readings and other general topics with peers and the instructor
lectures and instruction
Some weeks also include:
- opportunities to submit writing, image, sound, and video mini-stories for instructor and peer critique
Technical requirements: You will need access to a digital camera and basic image-editing software, an audio recorder and sound editor, and a digital video recorder and video editor. Any smartphone or tablet will do the trick, as will any computer outfitted with a camera and microphone. Resources for apps to use and tech tutorials will be made available on the course site.
Week 1: Storytelling in a Digital Age
Week 2: Every Picture Tells a Story
Week 3: Scripting Your Story
Week 4: Listen Carefully
Week 5: The Silver Screen
* US residents will receive a complimentary 4-issue subscription to Creative Nonfiction with their online class registration (or a 4-issue extension to their existing subscription). Students outside the US can receive a free copy of the ebook Creating Nonfiction, or can choose to receive a 4-issue print subscription for the cost of shipping fees. We regret that we are not able to supply complimentary digital subscriptions for international students at this time.
If you are an international student who would like a print subscription instead of an ebook, please contact us at email@example.com after you register.
Refund and cancellation policies
By 5pm EST on the Monday before classes begin (one week prior to start date):
- Students may request a refund (less a $50 application fee). You may also request a transfer (no fee) to another course in the same term or future term. Transfer credits must be applied within two years from your cancellation date.
By 5pm EST on the Friday at the end of the first week of classes:
- Students may transfer their enrollment credit to a future course (less a $95 processing fee for 10-week courses or a $75 processing fee for 5-week courses). Transfer credits must be applied within two years from your cancellation date.
- Students may switch to another class in the same term (subject to availability) for a $25 fee.
No refunds or transfers will be offered after this deadline.